KDE version of OpenOffice?

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Thu Oct 31 17:42:33 GMT 2002

On Thursday 31 October 2002 15.46, Piotr Gawrysiak wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I hope that this post is not too off topic and that it is not too naïve
> etc. - if it is, please excuse my stupidity :-

KDE and Qt are written in C++, OpenOffice in C

Porting code between the two projects is not trivial, and given the amount of
rewriting that would be necessary to get OpenOffice to use KDE technologies,
you could write an entire office suite from scratch.

There is work going on to standardise file formats, and to share work on
filters (filters for opening other office suite formats, that is.)

If it was easier and made sense to use OpenOffice sources, then KDE would do
so.  It isn't, it doesn't, and so we don't.

> Of course there is KOffice. But in its current state (especially
> considering lack of developers and - what is probably much more important

So, given that you consider koffice under developed, and you aren't offering
to contribute code, please tell me where you expect these other developers
who are going to port a behemoth like OO from one programming language to
another, are going to come from?

> and what might be the reason for it - lack of marketing and media
> attention) it somehow does not seem promising (see note 4) :( Even outside

And it's delivering on those promises.  Several components of KOffice 1.2 are
very professional indeed, and more than stable and usable in an office
environment.

> note 4 - which is a shame, because KOffice has lots of potential. However -
> this is just as with KDE vs GNOME wars - does Open Source community have
> enough resources to push two similar projects at the same time now?

Yes.  It categorically does.  If someone went "abracadabra" and magically made
KOffice disappear tomorrow, then most of the developers would not go work on
Open Office, they'd find something else in KDE to do.  And if OpenOffice.org
decided to pull the plug, assuming KOffice would suddenly benefit by a bunch
of new developers eagerly looking for an office suite to work on, is naive.
If they liked coding in C++ with KDE and Qt libs, they'd already be here
doing so.

FWIW, there is no war between developers, only on slashdot and lists like
these, and generally only between users and trolls.  Liking one thing, does
not imply hating the other.  So I don't use GNOME, and work on KDE - that
doesn't mean I have any particular opinion of GNOME, and most people are like
me.  I don't use Linux either.

Regards,
- --
Lauri Watts