KDE version of OpenOffice?

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Oct 31 16:48:40 GMT 2002

I think that you have made some excellent points.

On the other hand, the self-contained nature of Open Office allows it to be
run under many window managers.  A specific KDE port is no doubt feasible -
it just takes resources.  The question arises as to whether a port to KDE
would be the best use of the available resources at this time.

Again, look from where OO has come from - namely Star Office.   This was a
self-contained single desktop program.  Star Office was very clumsy because
of its monolithic construction.  The great advantage of OO is that the
various functionalities are now separate.

The development of software follows very closely the way evolution works in
nature.  This is especially true in the Open Source field.  Let everyone make
their suggestions.  Let various approaches be tried.  What comes out on top
will be determined by a mixture of chance and technical superiority.

Best regards

Basil Fowler

BTW - for really complex documents - especially those containing maths - the
LyX - LaTeX combination is far superior to OO or other wordprocessors. I use
OO exclusively to read .doc and .xls files that I receive from time to time.