konq displays text in Andale Mono italics on an upward slanting path

Denys Duchier Denys.Duchier at ps.uni-sb.de
Tue Oct 29 14:02:12 GMT 2002

I just discovered this really odd behaviour in konqueror (I am
running KDE 3.0.4, XFree86 4.2.1 on Gentoo 1.4):

text displayed using Andale Mono italics does not come out horizontal,
but rather along a path slanted upward about 25 degrees.  Here is a
PNG picture that shows what I get:

Name: bug.png
Type: image/png
Size: 27425 bytes
Desc: not available
-------------- next part --------------

Here is the HTML file that I used to produce the picture above:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<STYLE>
CODE { font-family: "Andale Mono"; }
</STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<PRE>

</PRE>
<CODE><I>this is really bizarre</I></CODE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Can anyone else reproduce this problem?  Does anyone know what causes
it?

Cheers,

Dr. Denys Duchier			Denys.Duchier at ps.uni-sb.de
Forschungsbereich Programmiersysteme	(Programming Systems Lab)
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Geb. 45	http://www.ps.uni-sb.de/~duchier
Postfach 15 11 50			Phone: +49 681 302 5618
66041 Saarbruecken, Germany		Fax:   +49 681 302 5615