konqueror is still failing to start (and is really pissing me off)

Andy Firman aflist at gci.net
Tue Oct 22 06:10:24 BST 2002

> > rm -r /tmp/.*
>
> The last command is wrong and dangerous!
> It will match the parent directory and so you'll
> "rm -r" your complete tree since it goes up to
> the root directory and then back down to
> each and every directory (if the file permissions
> allow removal. Of course, this is especially dangerous
> if run as root. But even losing my home directory would
> make me unhappy.).
>
> Is that what happened to you?

No.  But one day I did, as root, "rm -r /tmp" which deleted
the whole /tmp directory.  Not good. Could not login at all
after that. Welp...I can't figure out the freaking Konqueror problems so
I am looking into other window managers and desktops.

That is the cool thing about Linux.  You have lots of choices.