konqueror is still failing to start (and is really pissing me off)

Christian Müller cmueller at gmx.de
Mon Oct 21 06:55:10 BST 2002

Am Sonntag, 20. Oktober 2002 20:12 schrieb Andy Firman:
> On Sunday 20 October 2002 07:07, Jacques Levesque wrote:>
>
> > You have a laptop so just tell your system to clean /tmp dir everytime
> > you boot, or make a cron task to clean your every few hours.
>
> Should I clean "everything" out of /tmp?
> This is what I have done but it screws up being able to launch anything:
> rm -r /tmp/*
> rm -r /tmp/.*

The last command is wrong and dangerous!
It will match the parent directory and so you'll
"rm -r" your complete tree since it goes up to
the root directory and then back down to
each and every directory (if the file permissions
allow removal. Of course, this is especially dangerous
if run as root. But even losing my home directory would
make me unhappy.).

Is that what happened to you?

Regards,
Christian.