PNG files read as text

RBE rbe at flash.net
Sat Nov 30 06:09:37 GMT 2002

On Friday 29 November 2002 11:25 pm, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> RBE wrote:

> >>I don't know if this is a bug, but it is quite possible that you
> >> have misdiagnosed the problem.
> >>
> >>What did you set for: "Message property"?  If you chose: "MIME",
> >> then the PNG file WILL be converted to text to send it -- that is
> >> the way it is supposed to work.  You can also choose: "8-bit" and
> >> they will not be converted but some people might have a problem
> >> with them.
> >>
> >>What is important is that it have the correct MIME type when it is
> >>received.  A PNG file should have the MIME type: "image/png".  It
> >> is that piece of information that the browser on the other end
> >> needs to read it.
> >>
> >>To see this, look at the source for the message.
> >
> > I've got it set to "allow 8 bit".  The MIME type shown *is*
> > "image/png."  I still don't see what the problem is.  I think I'll
> > mail it to myself and see what is happening.
>
> As I said, 8-bit can cause problems for some mail software.  What
> happens is that the 8th bit get stripped off (replaced with 0) which
> leaves the recipient with a useless text file of gibberish.  So, I
> usually play it safe and use MIME even thought it makes the
> attachment a little longer (7 bites are converted to 8 bites).
>
> Sending a test to yourself is a good idea.  Try both 8-bit and MIME
> and confirm that they both work.

Ooops!! Sending a message from my computer to my server and back from
my server to me leaves the .png files alone and properly configured.
Sending them to the list gets them converted to text files.
Something's wrong but not at my end.  It makes no difference whether I
use 8-bit or MIME - they both work fine in the test.

- --
Robert Black Eagle
The world was more peaceful
Before the Old Gods were abandoned.