PNG files read as text

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Nov 30 05:25:27 GMT 2002

RBE wrote:

> On Wednesday 27 November 2002 11:29 pm, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>RBE wrote:
>>
>>>I have a screen snapshot which I need to send for others to review.
>>>The snapshoot is in .png format, which kmail pretends to recognize.
>>>Unfortunately, it sends it out as text, which means nothing can be
>>>read or, in this case, seen.
>>>
>>>Is there a workaround for this bug?
>>
>>I don't know if this is a bug, but it is quite possible that you have
>>misdiagnosed the problem.
>>
>>What did you set for: "Message property"?  If you chose: "MIME", then
>>the PNG file WILL be converted to text to send it -- that is the way
>>it is supposed to work.  You can also choose: "8-bit" and they will
>>not be converted but some people might have a problem with them.
>>
>>What is important is that it have the correct MIME type when it is
>>received.  A PNG file should have the MIME type: "image/png".  It is
>>that piece of information that the browser on the other end needs to
>>read it.
>>
>>To see this, look at the source for the message.
>

> I've got it set to "allow 8 bit".  The MIME type shown *is*
> "image/png."  I still don't see what the problem is.  I think I'll mail
> it to myself and see what is happening.

As I said, 8-bit can cause problems for some mail software.  What
happens is that the 8th bit get stripped off (replaced with 0) which
leaves the recipient with a useless text file of gibberish.  So, I
usually play it safe and use MIME even thought it makes the attachment a
little longer (7 bites are converted to 8 bites).

Sending a test to yourself is a good idea.  Try both 8-bit and MIME and
confirm that they both work.

--
JRT