konq displays text in Andale Mono italics on an upward slanting path

Justin T. purplegecko at gmx.net
Mon Nov 4 17:42:24 GMT 2002

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 15:00, gabriel wrote:
> i had the exact same thing appear just the other day (sorry, no link).  but
> i figured it was just some crazy dhtml.  the slant went up and to the
> right, just like the pic, and actually went into the lines above (ie. in a
> paragraph, the text spanned many lines and overlapped lots of text).
>
> weird.
>
> gentoo-linux 1.2
> kde-3.0.4
> gcc-2.92.3
>
> On October 29, 2002 02:02 pm, Denys Duchier wrote:
> > I just discovered this really odd behaviour in konqueror (I am
> > running KDE 3.0.4, XFree86 4.2.1 on Gentoo 1.4):
> >
> > text displayed using Andale Mono italics does not come out horizontal,
> > but rather along a path slanted upward about 25 degrees.  Here is a
> > PNG picture that shows what I get:

Not sure if you are still having the same problem, but it appears that there
was a problem with the FontConfig that was downloaded and installed with
xfree-4.2.1.  If you resintall the latest fontconfig-2.0-r3 this will take
care of the problem.  Alternatively you can just edit the
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf file.  There is a section that looks like this:

                <edit name="matrix" mode="assign">
                        <times>
                                <name>matrix</name>

And this last part should look like this:

Hope that helps (was bothering me forever...)

Justin T