Font problem.

Jarl Friis jarl at softace.dk
Fri Nov 22 09:00:35 GMT 2002

James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org> writes:

> Jarl Friis wrote:
> > Hi.
> > I am new to this list.
>
> > I'm having font problems. Runing SuSE 8.1 with KDE3 I experience the
>
> > following font-problem.
> > I launched Konqueror and went to google, and see that The fonts now
>
> > used to render google-buttons (and other text) does not render the
> > danish characters "æ", "ø", "å".
> > At first glance I worked around it and uninstalled some non8859-1
>
> > fonts, but I consider this to be a hack.
> > I note that whatever I do in Konquerors appearance settings the
>
> > font-selection does not change the appearance of google (in danish).
> > I guess that is caused by google requesting a specific font family
>
> > (arial) hence the font-options (including encoding) under Konquerors
> > appearance settings are ignored (or overruled by something).
>
> The source code for the page says: ISO 8859-1 and: "arial,sans-serif"
> so there shouldn't be a problem.
>
> > What can I do?
>
> > Is this a bug?
> >

> I think that this is a font problem.  But, I am not sure what it is.

I certainly was.

I removed the kochi-gothic and kochi-'something-else' fonts that were
only version 0.2 software.

> I tried Google in Dansk and the buttons and the line under them are
> correct AFAIK (since I don't speak Dansk and my Deutsch is not very
> good).
>

> 	Søg på nettetSøg sider på Dansk
>
> This looks OK on Mozilla as well.  The "a"s have a little circle over
> them and the: "o"s have the diagonal line through them.  I didn't see
> the Latin a+e anywhere.

Thank you very much for trying it out, and helping me. The a+e
characters can be found in "Præferencer" and
"Sprogværktøjer",i.e. "preferences" and "language tools"

> However, I do have the actual Arial True Type font installed.

So do/did I. I just still haven't figured the pipeline from a HTML/CSS
being a fully qualified X-font name. Any documentations you can direct
me to as regarding this font name resolving mechanism, involving KDE,
Qt, X.

> Can you open Kcharselect and see if the "sans-serif" font that you are
> using in Konqueror for web browsing has the characters which you need.

You probably mean "kcharselect" which seems like a goo app. Now the
behaviour of arial is as expected (respecting non-ascii characters)
I will try to reinstall kochi-fonts, see if behaviour changes.

> Also make sure that you have chosen ISO 8859-1 or ISO 8859-15 as your
> default font.

Well "use the encoding of the language" should suffice, right?

> Does it fix the problem to set the encoding: "View => Set Encoding"?

No it didn't change anything.

> Also note FYI that if Qt can't find the correct font, it will look
> through everything else and failing that, default to Helvetica and if
> it can't find Helvetica, I think that it will just choose the first
> one it finds. :-(.

Thanks, any URL describing this in detail.

Well the problem is no solved by uninstalling some japanese
beta-fonts, yet I can't see why this should change the behaviour of
non japanese text.

Jarl