Font problem.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Nov 8 09:33:55 GMT 2002

Jarl Friis wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am new to this list.
>
> I'm having font problems. Runing SuSE 8.1 with KDE3 I experience the
> following font-problem.
>
> I launched Konqueror and went to google, and see that The fonts now
> used to render google-buttons (and other text) does not render the
> danish characters "æ", "ø", "å".
>
> At first glance I worked around it and uninstalled some non8859-1
> fonts, but I consider this to be a hack.
>
> I note that whatever I do in Konquerors appearance settings the
> font-selection does not change the appearance of google (in danish).
>
> I guess that is caused by google requesting a specific font family
> (arial) hence the font-options (including encoding) under Konquerors
> appearance settings are ignored (or overruled by something).

The source code for the page says: ISO 8859-1 and: "arial,sans-serif" so
there shouldn't be a problem.

> What can I do?
> Is this a bug?

I think that this is a font problem.  But, I am not sure what it is.

I tried Google in Dansk and the buttons and the line under them are
correct AFAIK (since I don't speak Dansk and my Deutsch is not very good).

	Søg på nettetSøg sider på Dansk

This looks OK on Mozilla as well.  The "a"s have a little circle over
them and the: "o"s have the diagonal line through them.  I didn't see
the Latin a+e anywhere.

However, I do have the actual Arial True Type font installed.

Can you open Kcharselect and see if the "sans-serif" font that you are
using in Konqueror for web browsing has the characters which you need.

Also make sure that you have chosen ISO 8859-1 or ISO 8859-15 as your
default font.

Does it fix the problem to set the encoding: "View => Set Encoding"?

Also note FYI that if Qt can't find the correct font, it will look
through everything else and failing that, default to Helvetica and if it
can't find Helvetica, I think that it will just choose the first one it
finds. :-(.

--
JRT