Problem updating KDE 3.0.4

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Nov 17 09:05:10 GMT 2002

I encountered the same problem when upgrading from KDE 3.0 to 3.0.3 in my SuSE
8.0 system.

The problem lies in the absence of certain library files in the
/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/lib directory.

I do not remember the names exactly, but I believe that they are
'libqutils.so.*'.   You should have the old qt-3.0.3 directories still on the
disk.  If so, compare the list of files in the .../qt-3.0.?/lib directories
and transfer any files that are missing into the qt-3.0.5/lib directory.

This should work.  If you do not have the old directory handy, locate the qt
library rpm on your distribution disks and run

rpm -qlp qt-3.0.3.....i386.rpm | to get a list of files

On the SuSE professional 8.0, the qt rpm is held in the first CD in the
directory suse/xdev1.

Finally - check that the symlink  /usr/lib/qt3 points to /usr/lib/qt-3.0.5.

Hope this helps.

Basil Fowler