How do I kill kfmclient?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Nov 15 23:31:49 GMT 2002

Tarjei Knapstad wrote:

 > I know it's not a daemon, but it does indeed shut down and restart
 > constantly (every second or so) with a new PID.

IIUC, something must explicitly start it.  That is what I meant.  A
daemon on the other hand can be set to "respawn" so that it will start
again automatically if it dies.

If it is actually restarting, this is very odd.

 > I've also got two kfmclient processes that are tagged as <defunct>
 > that I cannot seem to kill.

Did you use the command: kill -s SIGKILL <pid>

 > The kfmclients that dies/starts all the time can be seen in top or
 > with ps, and it's not misinformation. The kfmclient processes live
 > for about a second (I'm aware of the top update rate), then dies, and
 >  a new one gets started with a diferent PID.
 >

 >> I suggest that you use Ksysguard instead since it will tell you
 >> what kfmclient is actually doing (over on the right side of the
 >> table).  If you just want the process table, <CTRL>+<Backspace>.
 >>

 > I'll have a look at what ksysguard can tell me.

You should see "kfmclien"t die, because it is just a wrapper.  You
execute a command like:

kfmclient openProfile filemanagement "/home/jrt/"

"kfmclient" will not keep running, it will promptly die after it has
opened another konqueror window.

So, the question, which I do not have an answer for, is what keeps
executing "kmfclient"

Can you recover the whole command line from TOP or something??

--
JRT