How do I kill kfmclient?

Tarjei Knapstad tarjeik at chemcon.no
Wed Nov 13 17:20:32 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 02:11, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Tarjei Knapstad wrote:
> > I've recently installed RedHat 8.0 on my laptop which works fine except
> > for one thing. 'kfmclient' keeps dying and respawning all the time, which
> > is quite annoying as it keeps the cpu meter bumping up and down, spending
> > more of my laptops power than necessary and keeping the fan constantly
> > going.
> >
> > So, how do I get rid of kfmclient (which I don't really have much need
> > for) or alternatively, how do I fix the problem?
> >

> If you never use the file manager, I suppose that you could just delete
> it, but I would think that it would be difficult to use your laptop if
> you couldn't open any files.
>
> You say it keeps: "dying" and "respawinig".  It isn't a daemon so it
> won't do that.  Perhaps it is started as a process and when the process
> is finished it is terminated and then it is started again as another
> process ... etc..  It is going to run when ever it is needed, but I
> doubt that it is what is running up your CPU usage.  It is more likely
> that it is what kfmclient is running that is using the CPU time.

I know it's not a daemon, but it does indeed shut down and restart
constantly (every second or so) with a new PID. I've also got two
kfmclient processes that are tagged as <defunct> that I cannot seem to
kill. As kfmclient is constantly shutting down and restarting this keeps
the CPU meter bouncing up and down, and this occurs even if I'm not
running any applications at all.

> I would guess that you are using TOP to obtain this misinformation (this
> is the usual problem) since it does not tell you what a client/wrapper
> program is actually running.  Most people complain that there are a lot
> of instances of: "kdeinit" running.

The kfmclients that dies/starts all the time can be seen in top or with
ps, and it's not misinformation. The kfmclient processes live for about
a second (I'm aware of the top update rate), then dies, and a new one
gets started with a diferent PID.

> I suggest that you use Ksysguard instead since it will tell you what
> kfmclient is actually doing (over on the right side of the table).  If
> you just want the process table, <CTRL>+<Backspace>.

I'll have a look at what ksysguard can tell me.

Regards,
--
Tarjei