How do I kill kfmclient?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Nov 11 01:11:33 GMT 2002

Tarjei Knapstad wrote:
> I've recently installed RedHat 8.0 on my laptop which works fine except
> for one thing. 'kfmclient' keeps dying and respawning all the time, which
> is quite annoying as it keeps the cpu meter bumping up and down, spending
> more of my laptops power than necessary and keeping the fan constantly
> going.
>
> So, how do I get rid of kfmclient (which I don't really have much need
> for) or alternatively, how do I fix the problem?

If you never use the file manager, I suppose that you could just delete
it, but I would think that it would be difficult to use your laptop if
you couldn't open any files.

You say it keeps: "dying" and "respawinig".  It isn't a daemon so it
won't do that.  Perhaps it is started as a process and when the process
is finished it is terminated and then it is started again as another
process ... etc..  It is going to run when ever it is needed, but I
doubt that it is what is running up your CPU usage.  It is more likely
that it is what kfmclient is running that is using the CPU time.

I would guess that you are using TOP to obtain this misinformation (this
is the usual problem) since it does not tell you what a client/wrapper
program is actually running.  Most people complain that there are a lot
of instances of: "kdeinit" running.

I suggest that you use Ksysguard instead since it will tell you what
kfmclient is actually doing (over on the right side of the table).  If
you just want the process table, <CTRL>+<Backspace>.

--
JRT