Simplified KDE environment

Johnny Andersson johnny at johnnys.info
Tue Dec 24 22:26:01 GMT 2002

Hi all. I'm setting up a KDE system for my mother and I want to make it as
easy to use as possible. It's only going to run a web browser (I think I'd
better use Mozilla even though I prefer konq myself) and kmail.

I want kicker to contain the icons for the programs, but I'd rather she didn't
have to worry about what buttons switch to the program (the task button) and
what buttons actually load the application. That is, a button that loads the
program if it's not running, otherwise it just switches to it. This could be
done with scripts, but is there an easier solution?

Anyone have any other tips/experiences for making this as easy as possible for
a non-computer savvy person? I tried Windows first but I realized my mother
was too confused by Windows (not to mention I loathe it) and figure I'd set
up a streamlined KDE instead.