kmail: sending/receiving messages in HTML

Felix Seeger felix.seeger at gmx.de
Tue Dec 10 07:52:30 GMT 2002

Am Montag 09 Dezember 2002 23:18 schrieb Benjamin Lee Solosy:
> Hi Felix!  My comments follow inline...
>
> On Monday 09 December 2002 11:32 am, Felix Seeger wrote:
> > I think it is simply not implemented since kmail is more a non-html mail
> > client (ok you can enable viewing but it is not on by default)
>
> Why should KMail be "more a non-html mail client?"  That is absurd, imo.
I don't say that it should be, I sad that I think it _is_ a non-html mail
client. I think that is right since you have some problems with html ;)

> > You could write a bugreport (as a wish).
>
> HTML composing has already been submitted as a wishlist bug many, many
> times.
>
> > Maybe it was not implemented because nobody uses html mails on Linux.
>
> I strongly disagree with you there!
> I am sure many people don't send HTML format e-mail in Linux only because
> it is not (yet) widely enough available (e.g., in KMail).  I am sure many,
> many people want it.  I am a perfect example of such a person!
I can only talk for my experience. I don't know one person which likes html
mails. Most of them will delete such a mail without comment.
Maybe I get two private mails in html per year. And than, mostly it was an
error in netscape/ms product properties.

> P.S.  A general comment to those who say that e-mail should be strictly
> text, rather than HTML format:  The e-mail client should be customizable to
> accept/render only text-based messages if desired, but also HTML if so
> desired.  I literally just read a comment by a contributor to Usenet who
> said that text is the only mode that is necessary for communication via
> e-mail. By that reasoning, the same should be true for the web as well:
> the web should be strictly text-based, with no graphics whatsoever.  While
> that notion may appeal to certain extreme purists (e.g., those who use
> strictly Lynx to browse the web, etc.), the *vast majority of computer
> users* flatly reject that notion.  (For good reason, too, imo:  It is
> ridiculous!  :-)  ) Computers should enable their users to do *more*, not
> less, if they so choose.  [If all we wanted was strictly text-based
> communication, there would really be no need for these expensive,
> needlessly complex machines; we would simply go back to morse
> code/telegraph communications.]
Of course I love the look of LCARS, I use it on my laptop but you will never
get an email from me with a lcars look ;)
And I like simple web pages. I don't like lynx but I also don't use vi/joe/
for my mails.

Maybe this helps you:
Kmail --> Settings --> Configure --> Composer --> Headers
Maybe you can add it here

> Thanks for your reply,
>
> Benjamin
have fun