KDE not starting up anymore at all

Daniel Klein Bringa at gmx.at
Wed Dec 11 04:38:16 GMT 2002

Hello,

I've been using KDE 3 for quite some time now (got it soon after it came
out), and never had any problems at all. I suppose this is not directly
a KDE problem, but I am desperate and absolutely clueless as to where
else to ask. So I'll try to describe my problem here:

After rebooting back into linux from windows (something I do regularly),
I logged in as normally. I got the KDE3 starting up screen and noticed
it was going rather slow, definitely slower than normal, as it was
taking a lot of time at the stage before peripherals, systerm resources
or what it's called. Then when it came to Initializing Peripherals it
simply stopped altogether. I changed to init 3 and ran SaX2, SuSE's
config utility for X, and this too stopped. According to the SaX.log it
stopped while dealing with something keyboard related:

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse[1]" (type: MOUSE)
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
 > Error:            Can't find file "undef" for symbols include
 >                   Exiting
 >                   Abandoning symbols file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
 > Error:            Can't find file "unknown" for geometry include
 >                   Exiting
 >                   Abandoning geometry file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

The last error repeats a few times, and then the last lines are:

XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 228 requests (226 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

I would paste the corresponding lines from the XFree86.0.log if I had
any idea which ones are important in there. I see a few warnings and one
error in the log:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load glX

And the warnings:

(WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic" does not exist.
    Entry deleted from font path.
(WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/latin2/misc" does not exist.
    Entry deleted from font path.
(there are plenty more warnings like this for many fontdirs. Indeed
these font dirs do not exist, but I have no clue if it was that way
before as well, which may be.)

Lateron it complains about a lot of video modes, but again this can't
really be the problem since it already had switched to a functioning
graphic mode for the login and the startup screen. I'm completely
without a clue as to what is going on here.

Any suggestions? I pretty much depend on my X, so an answer would be
much appreciated.
Thanks,

Daniel