virtual desktops, window decorations, taskbar

James Barton jb002c4581 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Dec 1 05:40:57 GMT 2002

Hi all,
My system - debian sid with kde 3.0.98, dual head.
My problem - on the first restart after upgrading kde, everythign was fine.
But now I have a few separate issues:
 - no matter how many virtual desktops I ask for in the desktop, only one
appears in the pager, and it does not contain the outline of the open windows
on that desktop,
 - not all applications started on the desktop appear in the taskbar, and
those that do can spontaneously disappear,
 - opened windows have no surrounding coloured bar (is this 'window
decoration'?), and therefore cannot be moved around the desktop. They can
only be closed by choosing 'quit' from their menus. It is also impossible
with many of them to get a keyboard focus inside the window, rendering
Konsole for instance useless.

But the oddest thing of all, and the reason I can still send this from KMail,
is that this is only true of screen0. Screen1 is absolutely fine.

The only possible trigger I can think of is that I plugged in an additional
keyboard and mouse just before the problems arose (I normally have 2 mice and
2 keyboards attached in case I'm working with anyone), but I don't see why
that would make any difference.
Can someone help me make screen0 useful again?
And if I've totally failed to RTFM, could you point me to the FM?
Thanks in advance,
james