misconfigured kde2

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Aug 16 22:12:52 BST 2002

Joshua Lokken wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I am a newbie.  Is there a more appropriate list for those of us without much of a
> clue?

Until there is a: "kde-bsd" list, this is it unless you want to also ask
on a BSD NG or list.

> Anyway, my problem is this (please, if this is documented, send a link):
>
> I have kde2, avifile, and xmms as my mm suite (for now).  OS is FreeBSD 4.6
> release.
>
> 1.  When I set xmms as the default mp3 app, and click on an mp3, it enqueues the
> track, but will not play it.  I have to open xmms and open the file from xmms in
> order for it to play.

The stock KDE installation has two menu items for XMMS.  Are you using
"Enqueue in XMMS" for the MIME association?  Will it play if you tell
XMMS to play it?

> 2.  When using noatun to play mp3, the noatun volume control does not work, and I
> have to open xmms and use it's volume control.

Do you have KMix in the System Tray?  Does its volume control work?  Is
KMix properly configured for your sound card?  IIRC in KDE 2 it
sometimes screwed up doing that.

> 3.  I'm constantly having to kill artsd in order for multimedia files to play.  I'll finish
> an mp3, then attempt to open an avi file, which will play, but with no sound.  I kill
> artsd, and sound works fine.

Are you using the: "artsdsp" wrapper to open "avifile"?

	artsdsp aviplay %f

in the menu item.  This isn't needed in KDE3, but it might help with 2.

> I previously had mplayer working great, but I tried to build the gui, and it's now
> broken.

I haven't used mplayer.

> Can anyone offer some advice (harsh or not)?

Sorry that I don't have any certain answers.  Some of this might have
been fixed in KDE 3 or you might want to update to KDE 2.2.2 if that
isn't what you have.  There is supposed to be an aRts plugin (or
something) for XMMS, you might look into that.

--
JRT