anti-aliasing and other 3.0 gripes

akar akar3d at yahoo.com.au
Mon Apr 8 05:31:00 BST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Hutnick <peter-lists at hutnick.com>
To: <kde at mail.kde.org>
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 5:56 AM
Subject: [kde] anti-aliasing and other 3.0 gripes

> Just installed the "official" Red Hat packages of KDE 3.0.
>
> First thing I noticed was that I lost anti-aliasing in the upgrade.  (I
> removed all the old KDE and QT packages and installed the new ones since
RPM
> can never get what version is newer than what straight, so I use the term
> "upgrade" loosely.)
>
> The anti-aliasing check box was unchecked by default, but checking it had
no
> effect.  (I went as far as to restart X completely to be sure.)
>
> Some nitpicks.
>
> Konq's scrollbar colors don't change when the system colors are changed.
They
> are correct after restarting konq.
>
> The news ticker renders HTML tags in headlines (i.e. "Peter is
<i>really</i>
> Mad About KNewsTicker")
>
> There doesn't seem to be any way to auto-hide a child panel.  (If there
is,
> please tell me how!)
>
> Copy and Paste has gotten even weirder.  For example, highlighting text in
> Konq does not allow pasting to KWord.  Right clicking gives only "weird"
copy
> options.  Seems I /have/ to either press ctrl-c or Edit->Copy.
>
> The kmail release is kind of sketchy too, but I'll mail them separately.
>
> Nitpicks aside, this is the best release of KDE to date!  Thanks a million
> guys!
>
> -Peter

Run qtconfig and make sure you have turned antialiasing on for qt based
applications. Cut/PAste has been expanded and now meets industry standards
and so will work with all apps. The correct method is to use cut/paste from
a menu or with control keys. You can still use the old X=console selectopm
mode and middle button paste but be aware that klipper may confuse this
unless it was modified before the release (there was some talk of removing
the sync selection to clipboard in klipper).  In any case if you play around
with it you will get it right.

andrew