anti-aliasing and other 3.0 gripes

CiAsA S'Nuey Boark ciasaboark at telocity.com
Mon Apr 8 05:31:19 BST 2002

On Sunday 07 April 2002 03:56 pm, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> The anti-aliasing check box was unchecked by default, but checking it had
> no effect.  (I went as far as to restart X completely to be sure.)

Have you gone so far as to move your .kde (or .kde3, whatever RH uses) and
then restarting kde to generate a new one?  Try this, then fiddle around with
the AA options again.  If it works then its probably just a configuration
problem from upgrading from 2.2.  Personally I use seperate .kde directories
(.kde2 and .kde3) and just have .kde a symlink to either one depending on
which kde im running.

> There doesn't seem to be any way to auto-hide a child panel.  (If there is,
> please tell me how!)

Try going to kicker preferences, then to extentions.  From there you can
configure each extention that you've added.  I have to agree that this is
hard to find though.  I dont understand why going to the preferences of each
extention does not show _all_ the options that extention is capable of.
There is absolutely no reason for two seperate configuration dialogs.

Perhaps this should be done like the preferences of konqueror?
You could have a 'master window" with an icon on the left side for the main
panel, and extra ones for each extention?

> Copy and Paste has gotten even weirder.  For example, highlighting text in
> Konq does not allow pasting to KWord.  Right clicking gives only "weird"
> copy options.  Seems I /have/ to either press ctrl-c or Edit->Copy.

Thats not weird, that the "way its supposed to work."  There are two different
clipboards in kde and gnome.  the one that gets filled implicitly when you
select a string with your mouse and the one that gets filled when you do
ctrl-c.  To paste the former, use the middle mouse button, to paste the
latter, do ctrl-v.  It may seem weird at first, but from a programmers point
of view, it sure is nice.
--
Delay not, Caesar.  Read it instantly.
		-- Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar" 3,1

Here is a letter, read it at your leisure.
		-- Shakespeare, "Merchant of Venice" 5,1

	[Quoted in "VMS Internals and Data Structures", V4.4, when
	 referring to I/O system services.]

Jonathan Nelson [icq=56665957] [aim=ciasaboark]