jp.kde.org migration to invent.kde.org and new web server / deployment process

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Apr 12 11:56:55 BST 2020

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 8:25 PM Jumpei Ogawa <phanective at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Jumpei,

> I'm a contributor to the Japanese community website.
>
> Recently, we have migrated from Capacity to KDE Jekyll Theme. (Thanks to Carl Schwan for the help!)
>
> As the next step, I want to migrate jp.kde.org's git repository and the web server it runs.

Of course. Currently I believe the repository we deploy is located at
https://cgit.kde.org/websites/jp-kde-org?

> 1. Git repository migration to invent.kde.org
>
> I want to migrate the Git repo from cgit to GitLab (invent.kde.org).
> Here is the repository I migrated: https://invent.kde.org/jogawa/jp-kde-org

Has the history of this been recently synced to the above
websites/jp-kde-org repository?

> I think this repository should be under https://invent.kde.org/websites/.
> Can you transfer the repository? I guess I don't have permission to transfer.

We can arrange for that to be transferred easily enough yes.

> Note:
> Actually, I had used GitLab.com to store the source code and cgit to deploy the built files because Phabricator-based development was a bit hard for me.
> So I imported gitlab.com/kdecommunity/jp.kde.org to invent.kde.org/jogawa/jp-kde-org. cgit.kde.org/websites/jp-kde-org.git can be discarded after the webserver or deployment process migration (if necessary).

As most of our existing systems expect repositories to still exist on
the legacy git.kde.org infrastructure, we keep the repositories
present there (just read only) and have Gitlab (invent.kde.org) mirror
any changes it receives up to git.kde.org.

> 2. Migration to the new webserver (or changing deployment process)
>
> Currently, I can deploy the website by pushing to cgit.kde.org/websites/jp-kde-org.git. I wonder if we should migrate to the new web server or change the deployment process.

It looks like jp.kde.org is currently using our normal systems and
servers for hosting websites?

> If we should, can you tell me how to migrate?
>
> I also want to know if .htaccess works on new webserver because we currently use it for the redirection.
> (Configuring redirection by another way is still fine for me.)

All of our servers use Apache, so .htaccess should continue to
function for the forseeable future yes.

> Best Regards,
> Jumpei Ogawa (小川 純平)

Cheers,