jp.kde.org migration to invent.kde.org and new web server / deployment process

Jumpei Ogawa phanective at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 12:51:28 BST 2020

Hi Ben,

> > As the next step, I want to migrate jp.kde.org's git repository and the web server it runs.
>
> Of course. Currently I believe the repository we deploy is located at
> https://cgit.kde.org/websites/jp-kde-org?

Thank you.
Yes, the content of https://cgit.kde.org/websites/jp-kde-org is
deployed currently.
This repository on cgit has built files (content generated in Jekyll's
_sites/ directory), and it is not the source code.

> > 1. Git repository migration to invent.kde.org
> >
> > I want to migrate the Git repo from cgit to GitLab (invent.kde.org).
> > Here is the repository I migrated: https://invent.kde.org/jogawa/jp-kde-org
>
> Has the history of this been recently synced to the above
> websites/jp-kde-org repository?

No, invent.kde.org/jogawa/jp-kde-org is synced to
gitlab.com/kdecommunity/jp.kde.org, but it is no longer synced to
cgit.kde.org/websites/jp-kde-org.
Source code is in invent.kde.org/jogawa/jp-kde-org and
gitlab.com/kdecommunity/jp.kde.org. Build output is in
cgit.kde.org/websites/jp-kde-org now.

Since jp.kde.org now uses Jekyll, source code and deployed code are
different and we cannot sync source code repository (invent.kde.org
and gitlab.com) and deployment repository (cgit.kde.org).
(Sorry, maybe my explanation was unclear.)

> > I think this repository should be under https://invent.kde.org/websites/.
> > Can you transfer the repository? I guess I don't have permission to transfer.
>
> We can arrange for that to be transferred easily enough yes.

Thank you.

> > Note:
> > Actually, I had used GitLab.com to store the source code and cgit to deploy the built files because Phabricator-based development was a bit hard for me.
> > So I imported gitlab.com/kdecommunity/jp.kde.org to invent.kde.org/jogawa/jp-kde-org. cgit.kde.org/websites/jp-kde-org.git can be discarded after the webserver or deployment process migration (if necessary).
> >

> As most of our existing systems expect repositories to still exist on
> the legacy git.kde.org infrastructure, we keep the repositories
> present there (just read only) and have Gitlab (invent.kde.org) mirror
> any changes it receives up to git.kde.org.

OK, so cgit.kde.org/websites/jp-kde-org.git will not be deleted, will it?

> > 2. Migration to the new webserver (or changing deployment process)
> >
> > Currently, I can deploy the website by pushing to cgit.kde.org/websites/jp-kde-org.git. I wonder if we should migrate to the new web server or change the deployment process.
>
> It looks like jp.kde.org is currently using our normal systems and
> servers for hosting websites?

Maybe yes, but I'm not sure.
I don't know what normal systems refer to because I'm not familiar
with KDE's infrastructure so much.

Several months ago, I saw some .gitlab-ci.yml of Jekyll-based
websites, and according to it, those websites are not deployed by
pushing to the Git repository on cgit.kde.org, but by a different way.
(If I remember correctly, they were deployed by rsync.) That's why I
thought I need to migrate the webserver or change the deployment way.

If we can keep the current way to deploy, invent.kde.org will have the
source code repository of jp-kde-org, and cgit.kde.org will have the
repository to store the built files. Their content would be different.
I wonder if it is acceptable to you.

> > I also want to know if .htaccess works on new webserver because we currently use it for the redirection.
> > (Configuring redirection by another way is still fine for me.)
>
> All of our servers use Apache, so .htaccess should continue to
> function for the forseeable future yes.

OK, then I don't have to rewrite code to redirect.

Thank you,
Jumpei Ogawa (小川 純平)