Revisiting the TechBase situation (2 proposals)

Juan Carlos Torres jucato at kdemail.net
Thu Apr 4 10:33:10 BST 2019

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 3:52 AM Olivier Churlaud <olivier at churlaud.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I agree 100% with what Friedrich wrote, which is nice because it's exactly
> the line we decided back at CERN at the Wiki sprint.
>
> The community needs a place to synchronize and deal with organization
> matters.
> The devs who are out of KDE, as much as the one from within need an entry
> point to contact knowledgeable people, to get documentation and tutorials.
>
> I clearly find a distinction here between community for the former and
> techbase for the latter.
>
> This was the first step, defining the containers. Now there is a lot of
> work to do to improve the content. I've seen that Nate and a lot of others
> whose name I forgot (really sorry guys'n'gals) made changes on the
> onboarding parts that already improved the situation, but it is certain
> that it can still become better.
>
> If it's not clear, I wouldn't do neither of your propositions, but try to
> find a nice frame to show outside people that they can reliabily use our
> software (on tech/userbase.ko), and to help potential contributors finding
> their way to the community (on community.ko).

Thank you for your input. Considering no one else has responded (unless
someone does belatedly)
I guess this is pretty much the consensus of those involved with the Wikis.
I will draw up some
next steps we can take based on this for updating and improving this area
of our developer docs.
Basically, aside from brushing up the tutorials and information, we
probably also need to make the
point of the wikis clearer. Simply saying "external developers" on the
front page might not be enough.

Olivier, is the decision made at the Wiki written down somewhere? It might
be good to have it
on the Community Wiki for future reference as well as a guide to help
documentation writers
in figuring out where to put certain docs and tutorials.

Juan Carlos Torres
Jucato