Revisiting the TechBase situation (2 proposals)

Olivier Churlaud olivier at churlaud.com
Wed Apr 3 20:51:20 BST 2019

Hello,

Le mardi 2 avril 2019, 18:49:59 CEST Friedrich W. H. Kossebau a écrit :
> [...]
> Pretending that separation does not exist only results in giving up or
> ignoring the only-users. And I wonder why it should be a "vs." instead of an
> "and"?
> Also inside the KDE meta-community, many developers/projects are only-users
> of the products of other projects under the KDE umbrella. Simply because they
> are already busy enough with their own project. So they are 3rd-party as
> well, who prefer focused documentation for a given need.
>
> Surely there should be also easy to reach links for those who need more from
> a product and for that want to contribute & give back or consider to do so.
> But contributing to a project is a completely different need, and needs a
> special documentation (area).
>
> Like the documentation for users is concentrating on allowing them to use the
> products, I see no difference to developer users for their set of products.
>
> Yes, KDE projects could see more contributors. But that goal needs to be
> balanced with the goal to make KDE's developer-targeted products usable.
> And bloated documentation with out-of-scope information is unattractive.
>
> >From comparison, I very much think that having an explicit place for external
> developers who simply want to use the products shared with them to get their
> job done, but not distracted by "community" stuff is better. It should also
> make sure the documentation is self-consistent, not assuming knowledge only
> available to KDE contributors/community.
>
> You said "On paper" things are clear. But for what is put in comparison, I am
> missing here some deeper non-paper real world analysis and research, talking
> about project goals confronted with feedback from stakeholders.
> Do we e.g. have stories collected from 3rd-party developers? What do non-KDE
> people say who tried to use KArchive? Or Kirigami? Or Marble libraries?
>
> Any chance we could have an example of a library here and collect the
> different developer and contributor stories, to see how documentation could
> be best organized for them?
>
> In your current proposals, IMHO you are also very focussed on the artifacts
> of the current two wiki installations. Can't we have a greater plan here?
> What about the development of the documentation (incl. translations), did the
> random access wiki approach work? Would we rather need properly authored
> documentation writing, with a clear plan and structure and official
> maintainers/supervisors, including "releases"?
> How to prevent outdated information, how to provide information for multiple
> versions of a product in use out there, how to provide updated information at
> the time of release of a new product variant?
> Has perhaps the central wiki idea not worked out, would perhaps separate
> projects also need distinct separate areas for documentation? And dedicated
> teams, at least some dedicated organisation center? What types of
> information/documentation is there at all?

I agree 100% with what Friedrich wrote, which is nice because it's exactly the line we decided back at CERN at the Wiki sprint.

The community needs a place to synchronize and deal with organization matters.
The devs who are out of KDE, as much as the one from within need an entry point to contact knowledgeable people, to get documentation and tutorials.

I clearly find a distinction here between community for the former and techbase for the latter.

This was the first step, defining the containers. Now there is a lot of work to do to improve the content. I've seen that Nate and a lot of others whose name I forgot (really sorry guys'n'gals) made changes on the onboarding parts that already improved the situation, but it is certain that it can still become better.

If it's not clear, I wouldn't do neither of your propositions, but try to find a nice frame to show outside people that they can reliabily use our software (on tech/userbase.ko), and to help potential contributors finding their way to the community (on community.ko).

Cheers,
Olivier