Rethinking https://www.kde.org/download/distributions.php

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Jul 5 11:16:38 UTC 2015

El Dimecres, 1 de juliol de 2015, a les 16:14:12, Andrej Mernik va escriure:
> Dne 30. 06. 2015 ob 13:31 je R33D3M33R zapisal(a):
> > Dne 30. 06. 2015 ob 13:10 je Ben Cooksley zapisal(a):

> >> Hi Albert,

> >> Was probably so people could find a distro with KDE, back in the day.
> >> These days so many distros carry our software that i'm not sure it has
> >> any worth anymore.
> >>
> >> I'd be in favour of killing it, pointing people to a list of
> >> distributions which carry KDE software (not stating versions) on the
> >> wiki (so people / packagers / distributors can self-maintain it).

> >> Thanks,
> >> Ben
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I think this page should list only popular distributions which ship
> > with Plasma Desktop as default DE. This way new users could get their
> > hands on most polished KDE experience and the list would be shorter
> > and easier to maintain.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andrej
>
> Hello,
>
> so I did a small analysis of
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions and found
> around 30 distributions using Plasma Desktop as primary DE. I filtered
> the list for unmaintained distros and have chosen five of them that are
> probably the most popular and thus offer best KDE experience. I also
> included example links which can be directly scraped for package
> versions (PCLinuxOS website doesn't seem to have a package search feature)
>
> OpenSuse | https://software.opensuse.org/package/plasma5-desktop
> Mageia | http://mageia.madb.org/package/show/name/plasma-desktop
> PcLinuxOS | http://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/kde/
> Kubuntu | http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/plasma-desktop
> Gentoo | https://packages.gentoo.org/package/kde-plasma/plasma-desktop
>
> I also want to offer my programming skills to implement the
> functionality ... :)

Thanks for offering your programming skills but we don't need them for this,
let's just make distributions fill their data.

On the other hand we're trying to find someone to give
https://www.kde.org/events/ a look&feel more similar to https://www.kde.org/
(at least have some of the top-level menus, etc), do you feel like trying?

Cheers,
  Albert