Rethinking https://www.kde.org/download/distributions.php

Andrej Mernik andrejm at ubuntu.si
Wed Jul 1 14:14:12 UTC 2015

Dne 30. 06. 2015 ob 13:31 je R33D3M33R zapisal(a):
> Dne 30. 06. 2015 ob 13:10 je Ben Cooksley zapisal(a):
>> On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 5:34 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org>
>> wrote:
>>> That page has a problem:
>> Hi Albert,
>>
>>>   * It lists kdelibs when it should list Plasma 5, KDE Frameworks
>>> and KDE
>>> Applications versions
>>>
>>> The problem is that knowing that for each distro is A LOT OF WORK,
>>> previously
>>> we could piggy-back on DistroWatch to read kdelibs code but
>>> DistroWatch is not
>>> having the 3 versions for the three things we need.
>>>
>>> One possibility is just killing the page.
>>>
>>> Anyone remembers what was the original rationale for having that list?
>> Was probably so people could find a distro with KDE, back in the day.
>> These days so many distros carry our software that i'm not sure it has
>> any worth anymore.
>>
>> I'd be in favour of killing it, pointing people to a list of
>> distributions which carry KDE software (not stating versions) on the
>> wiki (so people / packagers / distributors can self-maintain it).
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>    Albert
>> Thanks,
>> Ben
> Hello,
>
> I think this page should list only popular distributions which ship
> with Plasma Desktop as default DE. This way new users could get their
> hands on most polished KDE experience and the list would be shorter
> and easier to maintain.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrej
Hello,

so I did a small analysis of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions and found
around 30 distributions using Plasma Desktop as primary DE. I filtered
the list for unmaintained distros and have chosen five of them that are
probably the most popular and thus offer best KDE experience. I also
included example links which can be directly scraped for package
versions (PCLinuxOS website doesn't seem to have a package search feature)

OpenSuse | https://software.opensuse.org/package/plasma5-desktop
Mageia | http://mageia.madb.org/package/show/name/plasma-desktop
PcLinuxOS | http://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/kde/
Kubuntu | http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/plasma-desktop
Gentoo | https://packages.gentoo.org/package/kde-plasma/plasma-desktop

I also want to offer my programming skills to implement the
functionality ... :)

Cheers,
Andrej