Rethinking https://www.kde.org/download/distributions.php

Andrej Mernik andrejm at ubuntu.si
Sun Jul 5 13:53:13 UTC 2015

Dne 05. 07. 2015 ob 13:16 je Albert Astals Cid zapisal(a):
> El Dimecres, 1 de juliol de 2015, a les 16:14:12, Andrej Mernik va escriure:
>> Dne 30. 06. 2015 ob 13:31 je R33D3M33R zapisal(a):
>>> Dne 30. 06. 2015 ob 13:10 je Ben Cooksley zapisal(a):

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I think this page should list only popular distributions which ship
>>> with Plasma Desktop as default DE. This way new users could get their
>>> hands on most polished KDE experience and the list would be shorter
>>> and easier to maintain.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Andrej
>> Hello,
>>
>> so I did a small analysis of
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions and found
>> around 30 distributions using Plasma Desktop as primary DE. I filtered
>> the list for unmaintained distros and have chosen five of them that are
>> probably the most popular and thus offer best KDE experience. I also
>> included example links which can be directly scraped for package
>> versions (PCLinuxOS website doesn't seem to have a package search feature)
>>
>> OpenSuse | https://software.opensuse.org/package/plasma5-desktop
>> Mageia | http://mageia.madb.org/package/show/name/plasma-desktop
>> PcLinuxOS | http://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/kde/
>> Kubuntu | http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/plasma-desktop
>> Gentoo | https://packages.gentoo.org/package/kde-plasma/plasma-desktop
>>
>> I also want to offer my programming skills to implement the
>> functionality ... :)
> Thanks for offering your programming skills but we don't need them for this,
> let's just make distributions fill their data.
>
> On the other hand we're trying to find someone to give
> https://www.kde.org/events/ a look&feel more similar to https://www.kde.org/
> (at least have some of the top-level menus, etc), do you feel like trying?
>
> Cheers,
>    Albert

Hello,

sure, why not. I will need a quick introduction to how the website is
organized (if you have any internal standards, programming
recommendations, etc.). You can e-mail me for more details or
alternatively we can discuss over IRC.

Cheers,
Andrej