Do not mark upstream bug as Resolved in kde bug system

Leon Feng rainofchaos at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 13:46:35 UTC 2013

2013/2/12 Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org>

> El Dilluns, 11 de febrer de 2013, a les 12:41:26, Leon Feng va escriure:
> > Today I read a blog post about "Yet Another KDE QA Failure" here:
> > http://www.freehackers.org/thomas/2013/02/10/yet-another-kde-qa-failure/
> >
> > In my opinion, the root cause of this problem is the kde bug system. When
> > we mark a bug upstream, it is resolved. But in reality, it is *not*. The
> > bug is resolved only when upstream fix it.
> >
> > I have the same doubt when I first triange and mark the bug as upstream.
> > This time,  the gentoo one shows how much damage a wrong status mark
> could
> > bring up.
> >
> > The proposal: The kde bugzilla system should be changed. Do not mark  bug
> > resolved when we conclude it is upstream bug. Only mark a upstream bug
> > resolved when upstream actually fix it.
>
> I disagree, there is nothing else we can do to fix the bug, so from our POV
> it's a FIXED bug.
>
> Well, a bug we can do nothing != a bug is FIXED. We should tell the users
that we can do nothing. Not tell them the bug is resolved. If upstream do
not fix it, the users will encounter the bug again and again. How could we
say the bug is fixed.

When I saw a bug is marked "Resloved UPSTREAM", I know that KDE has nothing
to do with the bug. And I know from experience that this bug may not be
fixed upstream.

But when a normal user see "Resolved UPSTREAM", lots of them will think the
bug is *already resolved/fixed" by upstream which is completely wrong. We
should take steps to clear the confusion. Move UPSTREAM and DOWNSTREAM out
of Resloved can do this.

Feng Chao

Cheers,