pretty mailman listinfo pages?

Gérard Talbot browserbugs at gtalbot.org
Mon Dec 23 16:20:35 UTC 2013

Le 2013-12-22 20:44, Ben Cooksley a écrit :
> On Dec 23, 2013 1:40 PM, "Scarlett Clark"
> <scarlett at scarlettgatelyclark.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday, December 22, 2013 07:26:55 PM Felix Miata wrote:
>> > On 2013-12-22 07:41 (GMT-0700) Scarlett Clark composed:

[snipped]

Additional references
---------------------

Big Type Is Best for Aging Baby Boomers
Baby boomers, take heed: your vision is diminishing...rapidly.
http://web.archive.org/web/20070711190923/http://www.lighthouse.org/accessibility/boomers/

---------------

Making Text Legible
Designing for People with Partial Sight
http://web.archive.org/web/20070708133853/http://www.lighthouse.org/accessibility/legible/

---------------

Adapatability is Accessibility by John Allsop
http://web.archive.org/web/20010124093700/http://www.alistapart.com/stories/dao/dao_3.html

http://alistapart.com/article/dao#section6

"Designing adaptable pages is designing accessible pages. (...)"

(...)

"Absolute units, like pixels and points are to be avoided (if that comes
as a surprise, read on) (...)"

(...)

"
Fonts

Typically, a Windows, Macintosh, or other system will have only a
handful of fonts installed. There is little overlap between the default
installed fonts on these various systems. Already with many browsers,
and increasingly in the future, readers will be able to decide on the
fonts they want to view web pages with. With CSS, you can suggest a
number of fonts, and cover as many bases as possible. But don't rely on
a font being available regardless of how common it is.

More important still is font size. You may be aware that the same font,
at the same point size on a Macintosh "looks smaller" than on most
Windows machines. In a nutshell, this is because the "logical
resolution" of a Macintosh is 72dpi, while the Windows default is 96dpi.
The implications of this are significant. Firstly, it guarantees that it
is essentially impossible to have text look identical on Macintoshes and
Windows based systems. But if you embrace the adaptability philosophy it
doesn't matter.

What? If you are concerned about exactly how a web page appears this is
a sign that you are still aren't thinking about adaptive pages. One of
the most significant accessibility issues is font size. Small fonts are
more difficult to read. For those of us with good eyesight, it can come
as a shock that a significant percentage of the population has trouble
reading anything below 14 point times on paper. Screens are less
readable than paper, because of their lower resolution.

Does that mean the minimum point size we should use is 14 pts? That
doesn't help those whose sight is even less strong. So what is the
minimum point size we should use? None. Don't use points. This allows
readers to choose the font size which suits them. The same goes even for
pixels. Because of logical resolution differences, a pixel on one
platform is not a pixel on another.

You can still suggest larger font sizes for headings and other elements.
CSS provides several ways of suggesting the size of text in such a way
as to aid adaptability. We'll look at just one to get an idea.

With CSS you can specify font size as a percentage of the font size of a
parent element. For example, headings are inside the BODY of the page.
If you don't set a size for the text in the BODY, then the text of the
BODY will be the size that the reader has chosen as their default size.
Already we are aiding adaptability of our page, simply by doing nothing!

You might say "but the text looks too big" if I just leave it like that.
Make it smaller then. But in your browser. And your readers will then
have the option to make it bigger or smaller in their browsers too,
depending on their tastes, or their needs.

We can make headings and other elements stand out using font size by
specifying that headings of level 1 should be say 30% larger than the
body text, level 2 should be 25% larger, and so on. Now, regardless of
the size that the user chooses for their main text, headings will be
scaled to be proportionally bigger than the main text. Similarly text
can be scaled to be smaller than the body text, however, this can give
rise to situations where the text can be illegibly small, so use with
caution.

We've done very little really, just avoided using absolute font sizes,
and used proportional sizes for headings, and we've already made our
pages much more adaptable and accessible.
"

Adapatability is Accessibility by John Allsop
http://web.archive.org/web/20010124093700/http://www.alistapart.com/stories/dao/dao_3.html

http://alistapart.com/article/dao#section6

---------------

"
Avoid FONT SIZE settings for your normal body text. By definition, the
browser's normal font size is supposed to be the most readable size for
normal text. That's why browsers have a configuration setting to let the
user choose a font size for normal text, so that they can choose one
that is good for them.
"
Dan's Web Tips: Characters and Fonts (This page was first created 20 Jul
1997)
http://webtips.dan.info/char.html

Gérard
--
Konqueror Implementation Report of CSS 2.1 test suite (RC6): 9418
testcases