Joining KDE as Web developer

Ingo Malchow imalchow at kde.org
Tue Jun 21 21:52:35 UTC 2011

2011/6/21 Lukas <1lukas1 at gmail.com>:
> Hi Jay,
>
> Just came to my head. Its more a brain dump, but since *base and forums are
> not going to be replaced with different CMS soon, I see no reasons why not..
>
> Build custom search interface for forum.kde.org
> - AJAX based Live search
> - searching in BOTH forums and userbase
> - display results in 2 column layout one for each resource
> - Something like http://www.yabigo.com/?q=kde
>
> Why?
> - Current search on forums s***. It shows EACH reply matching query(not the
> thread) sorted by date, not relevance. In most cases it makes search
> worthless, as 2-5 latest posts can take even 3 search result pages. Users
> almost never goes below 1-2 :(
> - Answer might also be documented on user base, so we can avoid some
> redundant questions
>
> How to sort?
> - Something like:
> SELECT title, intro FROM forums WHERE body='$query' GROUP BY thread_id ORDER
> BY solved, view_count
>
> Web team, what do you think?
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

That sounds indeed like a nice (bigger though) project. The search on
our phpbb already got replaced by sphinx, which is the most powerful
search we found up to a point we were still trying to optimize it. Now
it is mainly a selfrunner.
That's why it lately got a bit silent around our forum devs from our
team. Other areas needed help.

But if you want to volunteer.... ;)

Cheerio,
Ingo