Restructuring techbase and userbase

Mark Ziegler mark.ziegler at rakekniven.de
Sat Jan 3 16:13:40 UTC 2009

Hallo,

am Samstag, 3. Januar 2009 schrieb Stephen Kelly:

> Another issue I'd like to see fixed is URL normalization. If I use
> konqueror up while on a tutorial page, I get to
> http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/ which is not the same as
> http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials without the slash on the end. There are a
> few ways to solve this.
>
> 1) mediawiki redirects for pages with subpages. Ie redirect [[Tutorials/]]
> to [[Tutorials]]. This is not a big job if we reduce the number of subpages
> and sub-sub-pages as I'm proposing.
> 2) HTTP redirects (301, permanent redirect request.url_with_slash to
> request.url_without_slash). I can't think of a reason someone would want a
> slash on the end of a page in techbase or userbase.
> 3) Maybe mediawiki has a setting for this?
Have to check.

> Yet another thing that I don't see a reason for is that it's not possible
> to create a 'normal' account on userbase. Why is that?
You can use one account for multiple pages. So maybe people should get used to
use OpenID. In our opninion ;-)

> Can we change it?
Maybe the admins can tell you. Imho it should be easy.

> What do you think of these ideas?
I do not see the big benefit on changing techbase structure so much. Result
would be that we have many dead links in search engines.
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/Arcade_Games/KGoldrunner gives you a
hint where this app belongs to. Maybe I have to read your email once more :-)

A thing I would like to talk about is the future of Userbase. Should it be the
home (website) for some apps like skanlite or lokalize. I spoke to the authors
and they like the idea. We discussed that in our september meeting, but there
was no decision. I stopped contributing to userbase because I miss some
guidelines for userbase. What should be in.
We talked about reducing no. of outdated *.kde.org pages, but where to put the
content?
The promo people missing a place to provide slides, movies, managing events.
Will we have onther wiki? Than we need to spent time on cleaning up techbase
and moving content.

Cheers,
Mark

--
If you find typos or wondering of my short message, this is related to my
current limited mobility.