Restructuring techbase and userbase

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 16:33:25 UTC 2009

Mark Ziegler wrote:
>> What do you think of these ideas?
> I do not see the big benefit on changing techbase structure so much.
> Result would be that we have many dead links in search engines.
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/Arcade_Games/KGoldrunner gives you
> a hint where this app belongs to. Maybe I have to read your email once
> more :-)

Well, if you move a page in mediawiki, it leaves behind a #redirect
[[newlocation]].

> A thing I would like to talk about is the future of Userbase. Should it be
> the home (website) for some apps like skanlite or lokalize. I spoke to the
> authors and they like the idea. We discussed that in our september
> meeting, but there was no decision.

Yes, I also like the idea. Many applications already have a page there.

> I stopped contributing to userbase
> because I miss some guidelines for userbase. What should be in.

Well lets talk about it now. I think what should be in
userbase.kde.org/$APPName is a screenshot, a description, a list of
tutorials on userbase for that app if there are any. We could probably be
quite consistent about how they look by using templates.

> We talked about reducing no. of outdated *.kde.org pages, but where to put
> the content?

I saw the list by sebas(?) of all those websites. I don't remember seeing
anything that wouldn't fit on techbase or userbase.

> The promo people missing a place to provide slides, movies, managing
> events. Will we have onther wiki? Than we need to spent time on cleaning
> up techbase and moving content.

I don't see any reason they couldn't go on techbase. If techbase is
about 'contributing to kde' then slides made and delivered by promo people
belong there IMO.

Cheers for the response. I do think you should reconsider the proposal of
reorganizing techbase, or else we should start to create some documentation
on what the structure is and where new stuff should go.

I do have more ideas on that, but writing these kind of emails can be a lot
of effort, and not worth it if the response is only going to be 'No
restructuring' anyway.

All the best,

Steve.