Restructuring techbase and userbase

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 15:17:43 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm proposing some changes to how pages are organized and structured on
techbase and userbase.

It's not entirely clear where such discussion belongs. See
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Restructuring_techbase_and_userbase to catch
up. Basically, I'm trying to make it more clear how to contribute to any
particular team or module, and I want to structure techbase in a way to
accommodate that.

Currently some teams have pages which live below the Projects/ page, like
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games, and particular games live a few
levels below that:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/Arcade_Games/KGoldrunner.

I don't think there's any need for all those subpages. I propose moving such
pages to http://techbase.kde.org/KGoldrunner. Userbase already uses the
userbase.kde.org/$APP scheme. Additionally
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games would be moved to
techbase.kde.org/KDE_Games, so that if you want to get started contributing
to a module, you go to techbase.kde.org/$MODULENAME.

I think Projects/ makes more sense for things like:

Projects/Migrate KMail to Akonadi
Projects/Port KJots to KDE4 pillars
Projects/Move libplama to kdelibs
Projects/Reviewing techbase and userbase structure

Projects/ would look like an index of those projects. By using the Mediawiki
template functionality, we can also have eg, KDEPIM/Projects which is an
index of Projects within the KDEPIM team. [[KDEPIM/Projects]] would have
the content like

== KDEPIM projects ==
* [[Projects/Migrating kmail to akonadi]]
* [[porting kjots to kde4 pillars]]

the [[KDEPIM]] page would then include that page:

== KDEPIM module ==

{{:KDEPIM/Projects}}

{{:KDEPIM/Tutorials}}

The Projects page would then include the projects from all the modules.

{{:KDEGAMES/Projects}}

{{:KDEEDU/Projects}}

{{:KDEPIM/Projects}}

To see this in action, see the source of http://userbase.kde.org/KJots/Tips,
http://userbase.kde.org/KJots and http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials. There
are some decisions to be made to make that consistent, but that's not hard.
It's just something I want to get concensus on.

The same structure of makes sense for Tutorials on techbase and userbase.

Another issue I'd like to see fixed is URL normalization. If I use konqueror
up while on a tutorial page, I get to http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/
which is not the same as http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials without the
slash on the end. There are a few ways to solve this.

1) mediawiki redirects for pages with subpages. Ie redirect [[Tutorials/]]
to [[Tutorials]]. This is not a big job if we reduce the number of subpages
and sub-sub-pages as I'm proposing.
2) HTTP redirects (301, permanent redirect request.url_with_slash to
request.url_without_slash). I can't think of a reason someone would want a
slash on the end of a page in techbase or userbase.
3) Maybe mediawiki has a setting for this?

Yet another thing that I don't see a reason for is that it's not possible to
create a 'normal' account on userbase. Why is that? Can we change it?

What do you think of these ideas?

Steve