[Kexi] Kexi development

Ingo Malchow ingomalchow at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 23 16:01:38 UTC 2009

2009/12/23 Jaroslaw S <kexipl at gmail.com>:
> 2009/12/23 Anne Wilson <annew at kde.org>:

>>> That's ok, but I would prefer Kexi/Handbook/ path. No need to put
>>> versions into the place (changes too quickly).
>>> Thanks for the feedback!
>>>
>> That's fine as well.
>>
>>> By the way, I offered my help to the kde-www team regardingthe
>>> breadcrumb links on the userbase/techbase.
>>> It's a small taks but I still didnt get the access. Is there anything
>>> that stops us from having the sites navigation improved?
>>>
>>> (I am asking because people add a lot of navigation links by hand (!),
>>> and also the language template is not the best way of handling things
>>> - one could use e.g. mediawiki namespaces, otherwise searching is a
>>> nightmare)
>>>
>> Nothing happened for a long time as no-one capable of doing the necessary on
>> the server had the time.  Then recently I teamed up with the forum guys, and
>> neverendingo has now got full rights over userbase.  We're doing a lot of work
>> to improve matters, but it will take a few more weeks before things show up.
>> Part of the problem is that our wikis are running an old version of mediawiki
>> - and this will have to be changed first.
>
> This is always the case - mediawiki just moves quickly forward :)
>>
>> Breadcrumb navigation in mediawiki must be harder than you'd think.  There are
>> several extensions to allow it, but none of them give breadcrumbs structured
>> like the ones in dolphin.  That suggests to me that there is a problem.
>
> I have implemented my own and can be inserted into the template. (see kexi.pl )
>
>> However, there exists an extension that gives breadcrumbe using categories as
>> the intermediate crumb.  That looks more promising, but is not yet tested on
>> our sandbox wiki.
>
> Hmm, categories are nonlinear so it looks more like  a tag soup, isn't it?
>
>> This is one of the things that we hope to realise in the
>> next few weeks.  We have lots of plans that will improve matters :-), one of
>> which is to get a better search engine in.
>>
>> I haven't forgotten your offer, but if a tool already exists there's no point
>> in wasting your time.  OTOH, once we have the updated wiki running, if the
>> extensions tested don't meet our needs, at least you will have someone
>> available to talk to wrt trying out your method.  Having the sandbox is a
>> great help.
>
> Alternatively, if I could get you copy of mediawiki files and
> directories with the template, I could try to run it locally and make
> a patch that the admin can apply.

Hi Jaroslaw,

what we currently testing is the latest version Wikimedia itself uses,
with some backport fixes and a bundle of preselected extensions. You
can check it out with svn from
http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/branches/wmf-deployment/

The template can be found on our own KDE svn server, see
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/www/patches/mediawiki/

Regards,
Ingo