i need some help

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Thu Aug 27 07:50:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 01:57, Marcus Oss<blingbling737 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello, I was wondering if i could get a little of assistance updating my
> system.  I bought one of the older eeepc mini computers put out by asus and
> am currently running Linux KDE version: 3.4.2 which seems to run really well
> given that this pc only has 4 gb flash memory and a 900 mhz intel celeron.
> I was looking at the new KDE on your website and it looks really nice.  I
> really want it on my system but don't think it will be capable of running it
> or how to install it for that matter.  The version of Linux that i have was
> installed for my by a guy that works for intel and i recently moved away and
> lost touch.  I know some computing stuff, but would like it if you could
> tell me the latest version of KDE that my system could run.  I have 164 free
> MB of memory and i saved everything else i need on an SD card.  Thanks for
> your help!!!

Hi Marcus :)

If you are still using the operating system that you got when you
bought the EeePC you are using Xandros. I don't think you can get KDE
4 for that.
I have the same EeePC and I installed Kubuntu with KDE 4.3 on it. But
other distros that provide KDE 4.3 work just as well. OpenSuse for
example.
If you want to switch to another distro it is probably best to get
some help from your UbuntuLoco team (check the Ubuntu wiki for details
and find out when they can help you) or your local LUG (Linux User
Group). LUG's usually have regular meetings and might be able to help
you install another distro on it.

Cheers
Lydia

--