i need some help

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 27 08:59:03 UTC 2009

On Thursday 27 August 2009 08:50:31 Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 01:57, Marcus Oss<blingbling737 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hello, I was wondering if i could get a little of assistance updating my
> > system.  I bought one of the older eeepc mini computers put out by asus
> > and am currently running Linux KDE version: 3.4.2 which seems to run
> > really well given that this pc only has 4 gb flash memory and a 900 mhz
> > intel celeron. I was looking at the new KDE on your website and it looks
> > really nice.  I really want it on my system but don't think it will be
> > capable of running it or how to install it for that matter.  The version
> > of Linux that i have was installed for my by a guy that works for intel
> > and i recently moved away and lost touch.  I know some computing stuff,
> > but would like it if you could tell me the latest version of KDE that my
> > system could run.  I have 164 free MB of memory and i saved everything
> > else i need on an SD card.  Thanks for your help!!!
>
> Hi Marcus :)
>
> If you are still using the operating system that you got when you
> bought the EeePC you are using Xandros. I don't think you can get KDE
> 4 for that.
> I have the same EeePC and I installed Kubuntu with KDE 4.3 on it. But
> other distros that provide KDE 4.3 work just as well. OpenSuse for
> example.
> If you want to switch to another distro it is probably best to get
> some help from your UbuntuLoco team (check the Ubuntu wiki for details
> and find out when they can help you) or your local LUG (Linux User
> Group). LUG's usually have regular meetings and might be able to help
> you install another distro on it.

4.3 is tight on a 4GB flash disk.  You would be much better served, Marcus, in
buying an 8GB pen-drive and installing your new OS choice on that.  I tried a
very early KDE 4.0 by this methods with the EeePC 701 for that reason, and it
worked very well.

Fedora offer instructions on how to set this up on a pen-drive, and I think it
likely that other popular distros do too.

Anne