http://wwwtesting.kde.org/

Andreas Pour pour at mieterra.com
Fri Jan 24 21:18:46 UTC 2003

Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:

> [Andreas Pour]
> > The site does not work with KDE 3.0.
>
> Which exactly is the version of Konqueror you have tested?

I went back as far as I could - 3.0.1.

> It now displays fine in KDE 3.0.5, and on all other browsers I have tested
> (Opera, Mozilla, lynx, ...), except Netscape 4.

Well there has been some change since I last wrote, thanks, it now displays the
CSS in 3.0.1.

> > Compare wwwtesting.kde.org (http://promo.kde.org/testing/wwwtesting.jpg)
> > with the prior www.kde.org/testing/
> > (http://promo.kde.org/testing/testing.jpg).
>
> It looks as if the stylesheet was completely ignored, which is odd, since
> even Netscape 4.79 loads the stylesheet (if javascript and stylesheets
> are enabled).

Why JavaScript is needed?  That may have been the problem in my Konqueror.

> Any idea what might cause Konqueror to completely ignore a stylesheet?
>
> Andreas, I hope you can come up with a workaround for this Konqueror bug.
> It is not a problem in the web site, which displays fine on KDE 3.0.5, it
> must be a specific bug in the version you are using.
>
> > I would point out that the goal of standards, while very laudable, is
> > not an end in itself.  The reason to comply with standards is so
> > everyone can access the site.
>
> The new web site _can_ actually be viewed and navigated quite easily with
> any browser, whereas the old web site was really completely inaccessable
> on some browsers - try browsing the old and the new web site in lynx, for
> example.

Well it is quite a bit better but I presume fewer people use Lynx than Netscape
4.7x.  You could also fix this problem with the old design simply by checking
the browser string and including the navigation box in the footer rather than
the header if it is Lynx.

> > That is not the case if you exclusively rely (with no backup) on
> > features only available in the very latest releases of browsers.
>
> The error is not caused by an unsupported feature. It is caused by a
> really odd bug in Konqueror for which we need a work-around.
>
> Apart from this strange, unexpected and unpredictable bug in the Konqueror
> version you are using, and apart from generally broken CSS support in
> Netscape 4, the new web design is really good work.

Sure, I am not trying to take away from that.  I just want to avoid the general
hugely negative press we will get if kde.org becomes "2003 and later"
browser-compatible.  A solution might be to have two different "header.inc" and
"footer.inc" depending on the level of XHTML / CSS support of the browser.

> I hope someone will
> find the reason for this strange behaviour of Konqueror 3.0. Otherwise it
> will be impossible to write a work-around.

Ciao,

Dre