Keramik demo page is online! (with links!)

marko faas argus at dds.nl
Sat Sep 21 09:45:50 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 09:55, Klaus Staerk wrote:
> Hi Fredrik,
>
> On Friday 20 September 2002 22:49, fredrik danerklint wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > > the last days, I was thinking and brainstorming, hacking and painting
> > > about a new Keramik-like layout for the KDE webpages.
> >
> > What I've done is an example of how to use links on the site. It should
> > only require to define a link once and after that you can use is
> > everywhere. If you update the links location, it will be updated everywhere
> > and you don't have to go thru the hole site to see if you have miss one.
> >
> > You can see the result on http://fredan.org/keramik/ and get the files from
> > http://fredan.org/keramik/keramik_links.tar

Looks good. However it resembles the standard template looks all those
slashdot clones use too.

Some minor things:
- the topmenu is very hard to read.
- I have on Mozilla a very big blue border. (it is the biggest on the
left side of the screen)

I would love to see other menu-items too. Personally, I would like to
have several sections, but unfortunatley no everyone is conviced (yet)
that that is neccessary :-( But we might reshuffle some items so it is
getting more clearer what is where. I like th renaming of the menus.
however it might be sensible to have section index-pages too. So the
menu headers should be linked too. I just hope that all the family-sites
will adopt the same layout and the same menu entries. That will greatly
improve the usability of this site.

I propose:
top menu.
- kde.org
- Language switch (preferably with a drop down menu with alle the
languages)

I would put the rest in the standard menu bar because its too important
or very confusing (Which screenshots for example? And is News taking me
to kde.org-news or to dot.kde.org?)

What is KDE?
	What is KDE?
	Documentation
	Screenshots

KDE Software
	Stable Version
	Source Code
	KDE on CD-ROM
	Konqueror browsing
	Koffice
	Multimedia
	Games
	Pim
	Kroupware
	More applications

KDE News
	Announcements
	News

KDE Development
	Developement (with also links to kdevelop, lxr and printing)
	Art
	Usability
	Applications
	Send in a Bug
	Getting Involved (I would put Open jobs in here too)

KDE goodies
	Clipart
	Templates (kde-look.org)
	Merchandise
	Books
	Events

About KDE
	KDE people
	Mailing Lists
	Donate (helping out)
	Mirrors
	Contacts

Communities
	Women
	Artists
	Educators
	Enterprise users

That eliminates the very long and unclear family-tree.

I would like to include the menu list in the files myself, but I haven't
got the time at this moment. I will do it later, so if anyone does it
before me, please give notice.

> Looks good to me. Could we keep "filename.inc" as namespace for include-files?

I always learned never to use inc.-files, but only .php beacuse
otherwise people could see the source.

Marko