No, not just yet! ;)

Jason Bainbridge jaseone at myrealbox.com
Tue Oct 22 23:00:55 UTC 2002

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 06:33, Eric Ellsworth wrote:

> As I understood Neil's emails, the design that you all have been working
> was to be the template for the KDE family sites.  Is this template for
> Usability.kde.org, or for the whole kde family?

Yes, the plan is for all *.kde.org sites to use the same template once it has
been decided upon it has also been *suggested* that using the template be a
requirement to use a *.kde.org subdomain. usability.kde.org/newdesign is
fully dynamic with PHP, using menu.inc's to build the You are here and the
menu with submenu's.

> I do think all the KDE family sites should coordinate to some extent - they
> don't necessarily have to all use exactly the same template, but we
> probably ought to come up with a minimum set of information and links they
> all should contain.

I think most of the maintainers were already contacted, Christoph?

> This ties in well with Arcana's proposal that we figure out, at least
> roughly what should go in the menus before deciding if we want one or two.
>
> I know Christoph will heave a huge sigh upon reading this ;-o, but...
>
> I basically think we should have two columns.  I like
> http://www.kde.org/testing/modified-2/ a lot, but the search box is a
> dealkiller for me.

Two columns for content sites (if so why?) or two for the main portal? I agree
the search is too prominent, it jumps out and says we can't organise our
content so you must search for it, it would be alright for a search based
site but not kde.org. Where it is on usability.kde.org/newdesign is below the
links for usability, which says to the user if you couldn't see what you want
above through the links then search for it here

> Continuing with other usability stuff: there's also no pictures anywhere in
> any of these pages except at the top.  All the releases could easily be
> accompanied by a screenshot or a logo next to them - this would break up
> the page.

More graphics could be nice but the design should work without them and they
should only be a bonus IMHO.

> To address Aracana's concern, which I think is a good one, I tried last
> night to break down who might want to use kde.org, and what they'll be
> looking for. It's coming in a separate mail.

Could be interesting, I'll be waiting for it....

As always the above thoughts are my own and of course none of them have been
decided upon. :)

Jason Bainbridge
KDE - Conquer Your Desktop - http://kde.org
KDE Web Team - webmaster at kde.org