No, not just yet! ;)

Eric Ellsworth whalesuit at softhome.net
Tue Oct 22 22:33:33 UTC 2002

Well, that clears some confusion for me, at least.

As I understood Neil's emails, the design that you all have been working was
to be the template for the KDE family sites.  Is this template for
Usability.kde.org, or for the whole kde family?

I do think all the KDE family sites should coordinate to some extent - they
don't necessarily have to all use exactly the same template, but we probably
ought to come up with a minimum set of information and links they all should
contain.

This ties in well with Arcana's proposal that we figure out, at least roughly
what should go in the menus before deciding if we want one or two.

I know Christoph will heave a huge sigh upon reading this ;-o, but...

I basically think we should have two columns.  I like
http://www.kde.org/testing/modified-2/ a lot, but the search box is a
dealkiller for me.  I have now looked at all the world newspapers I can think
of offhand, and the only ones that has a search at the top center are the New
York Times, Le Monde and http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/, which I couldn't read.
All of these have search boxes that a) don't take as much space b) don't draw
the eye as much as the search box above.  Don't get me wrong, I think the
gray diagonal line looks really sleek, it's just too prominent.

Continuing with other usability stuff: there's also no pictures anywhere in
any of these pages except at the top.  All the releases could easily be
accompanied by a screenshot or a logo next to them - this would break up the
page.

To address Aracana's concern, which I think is a good one, I tried last night
to break down who might want to use kde.org, and what they'll be looking for.
It's coming in a separate mail.

Cheers,

Eric