No, not just yet! ;)

Jason Bainbridge JaseOne at myrealbox.com
Tue Oct 22 04:24:40 UTC 2002

Just a quick response from work whilst I wait for the kitchen to be free so I can make my lunch, so forgive the abruptness if any.

The original two column design had the content site's links on the left and all the KDE family links on the right. This is not well liked for the content sites as two menu's takes away too much from the content so a one sided menu was proposed for content sites.

Originally this one sided menu was going to contain the content site's links and then the KDE family links below, but this just made the list too long so it has been proposed that we just have the family links on kde.org. Currently the design at:

http://usability.kde.org/newdesign/activity/testing/firststeps/

Takes this into account and only has a link back to KDE Home. The menu on this site is currently on the right as that is where Neil, Mat, some others and myself prefer it for content sites. It is still open to debate as to where it will finally be positioned (and with what design as well) but as you said in our design it would be a matter of minutes to do a quick switcheroo as it is just in the template and the CSS.

There are also other proposals available under kde.org/testing as per Christoph's earlier emails that implement the same one column menu idea.

As for the main kde.org site there is a few ideas floating around as to how to make use of it the best and use it to kickstart navigation around the rest of the KDE sites. There isn't currently any proposals for this that I am aware of apart then the original two column design.

I am planning to whack together something tonight (UTC+8) which has all the title/navbar stuff at the top, then 3 (or more) columns of links broken up into categories, then the release announcements, then dot.kde news, then in one column have third party apps and another column kde-look stuff and then finally the footer.

Is that a bit clearer? Please correct me if I've gotten something wrong. :-)

Regards,
Jason