Comments on current kde-www

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Fri Oct 18 16:17:03 UTC 2002

On Friday 18 October 2002 14:05, Martin Konold wrote:
> On Friday 18 October 2002 01:10 pm, Neil Stevens wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Ohter than this one-server scheme, what was accomplished here?
> >
> > I think we should decide finally whether this idea of having all sites
> > servable from one server is something that we want to do.  *That*
> > decision will make clear whether the changes are needed.
>
> Please consider that we definetly do not want a one-server only solution
> under any circumstances.
>
> IMHO there is no technical reason why it should be impossible to
> consolidate mutliple servers on a single machine in case need really
> arises.
>
> Simply avoid bad interdependencies by using a seperate Document Root for
> every server and simply use cvs checkouts to maintain a consistent server.
> Definetly never share actual files across (virtual) servers always use
> copies. The coherency of the copies is then easily maintained via cvs.
Yep. The problem is simple: YES, the kde.org pages are not on ONE server and
won't be on ONE server at all, but what is if one of the servers fail and you
need to relocate the page fast and can't simply change the dns entry ?
Whitout any kind of global "virtual url" <-> "real url" mapping you can
change in one place that will just break all pages using the links.
And for webmirrors: To have a config per area/apps page is just non-sense,
nobody will make the work to go through all pages and change there vars,
links, etc. to get up a webmirror. Example: If you mirror kde-www on
kdemirror.de, you has only to change your local config.php (can use the
attic/renamed version in cvs as template) and checkout the kde-www module in
your server root -> tada, mirror working and all kde-family links will point
to your server, all side internal links will point to the mirrored pages on
your server, .... If you now only make a partial mirror, for example of
www.koffice.org, you simply only adjust the config entry for "/apps/koffice"
to your server, the others to the normal kde.org servers, that's it at all.
Without any central virtual to real url mapping I see no change to allow the
easy mirroring or simply moving of pages to different servers at all, or do
you really want to change all links per hand if you move some page from one
place to an other ?

And about complexity: The current kde_links methode is dumb, but even it is
not that complex: kde_links ("/areas/usability", "/documentation/index.php")
will give you the url of the cvs file
 /areas/usability/documentation/index.php
without wasting any thought were it is in the "real server" world. To make the
thingy easier, just rewrite kde_links to be able to handle
kde_links ("/areas/usability/documentation/index.php") (which is quit easy but
not as efficient as the above) and the linking is just plain easy to
understand, you link to the cvs file dir instead of the real world url, is
that that much complex ?

Anyway, at 19 MEST is the irc meeting in #kde-www on irc.openprojects.net, can
speak about that there.

cu
Christoph

BTW:
My change to family.inc was:
instead of using the plain url. Is that complex at all (even with the dumb
kde_links version) ?