[Sysadmin] Consolidation of kde domains to the main server? (was: Re: Structure of our websites (in CVS + on the servers))

David Faure david at mandrakesoft.com
Mon Oct 14 09:36:55 UTC 2002

> Duncan's point is a valid one, not just from a logistics point of view of moving all the various sites from the different physical servers to the main kde.org server but also in regards to system load ie. can the server that houses kde.org cope with all the sites that are currently housed elsewhere?

Martin's answer (he forgot to Cc) :
> moving everything to a central location is imho for multiple reasons a bad
> idea including future scalability.

I agree. We have various servers (including e.g. www.koffice.org which is hosted on sourceforge),
why put it all on one server - and see everything go down when that server goes down?
Why fix it when it ain't broke?

> What else is hosted on KTown other than developer, enterprise, printing and usability?
devel-home, kmail, kandy (?), kate, bugs, www.konqueror.org
and maybe other things.
Please note that www.kde.org is NOT hosted on ktown(==master).

> Are we still going to be able to make use of KTown if all those get moved to the kde.org server?
What's the "kde.org server"? That would be new role for ktown, you mean?
I believe this is a bad idea.

David.

!?

> Nothing is decided yet, though, so now is not the time to dig in and get
> hostile.

Yeah, Neil ready to get hostile... as always.

- --
David FAURE, david at mandrakesoft.com, faure at kde.org
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/
Get the latest KOffice - http://download.kde.org/stable/koffice-1.2/