[Kde-women] Input for talk?

the.lady.phoenix at gmail.com the.lady.phoenix at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 02:42:34 UTC 2012

Well Claudia,

I talked to my advisor, who happens to be the Computer Department
Chair, and the advisor for the computer club.  He didn't see the need
for a women in STEM group since there was a computer club.  The few
programming instructors I talked to (because there is only like 3
total in the school) didn't have any interest in becoming an advisor.
I didn't ask anyone in the Science or Math departments as I'm not a
student in any of those programs and didn't know whom to approach.
The school didn't like the idea of it as it wasn't co-ed, and yet they
have a group for black men.  This is my last semester and then
hopefully I'll get accepted to a halfway decent school to continue my
education.

I also put up some flyers and held a couple interest meetings where I
was the only one that showed up.  And yet, in my basic electronic
class (AC/DC circuits) the 2 other women come to me to help them as I
obviously know what I'm doing.

As for a LUG there isn't one in town, I don't think there is one in
the entire state!  In my linux class (which I couldn't test out of so
I have to take it), no one else likes or uses linux including the
instructor, and she doesn't like kde and is like don't use it use
gnome!  Then again she is a mac person.

I think its the fact that in america few want to help until they need help.

Sara