[Kde-women] Input for talk?

Claudia Rauch rauch at kde.org
Fri Sep 14 10:26:36 UTC 2012

On 14 September 2012 02:00,  <the.lady.phoenix at gmail.com> wrote:
> well I know I'd be interested in hearing about how to make a women in
> stem (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) group in a town
> or at a school.  I've not had any success in getting one started but
> seeing as out of the 18 credits I'm taking this semester in over half
> I'm the only woman (3 classes), the the other 2 have a grand total of
> 3 other women (2 and 1).  So it might be that there aren't enough
> bodies to make my idea work where I am.

Yeah, I can imagine that this isn't easy. Here in Berlin there quite a
big start-up scene and women in tech is kind of a hype topic right now
;).

How did you promote you group? Did you reach out to the local LUG (if
there is one) or did you talk to your teachers? Maybe they can share
this?

> On 13/09/2012, Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Claudia Rauch <rauch at kde.org> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm hosting a short session at http://geekgirlmeetup.de/ on September
>>> 15th. I will recycle my talk from FSCONS last year, on how to organize
>>> and run successful sprints [1], but since I assume that not everyone
>>> in the audience will be a developer or contributor to a FLOSS project,
>>> I want to put a bit of a different twist to the talk - something like
>>> "why should you organise a meeting/sprint" and how you can pull it off
>>> easily.
>>>
>>> Do any of you have some input for this? Maybe also something
>>> especially from a female perspective?
>>
>> Hey :)
>>
>> Here's a few things that come to my mind right now:
>> * you get to know people
>> * people get to know you
>> * it's a task that developers are usually thrilled about someone else
>> taking it -> they will love you
>> * you learn a lot about organizing and planning
>> * it's one way to give back to Free Software in an essential way
>> without writing code
>> * you get to show your city/country to a bunch of awesome people from
>> abroad
>> * language skills++
>> * people skills++
>>
>> Cheers
>> Lydia
>>
>> --
>> Lydia Pintscher - http://about.me/lydia.pintscher
>> KDE Community Working Group / KDE e.V. board member
>> http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org

Claudia Rauch
Business Manager
KDE e.V.
Linienstr. 141
10115 Berlin
Germany
Phone: +49 (0) 30 2023 7305 0
Fax: +49 (0) 30 2023 7305 9
Mobile: +49 178 522 3086

KDE e.V. is a German Verein registered at the Amtsgericht Berlin
(Charlottenburg), with number VR 31685. Its president is Cornelius
Schumacher. For more information please see http://ev.kde.org, and
http://kde.org/