[Kde-women] Input for talk?

Claudia Rauch rauch at kde.org
Mon Sep 17 08:48:09 UTC 2012

On 15 September 2012 04:42,  <the.lady.phoenix at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well Claudia,
>
> I talked to my advisor, who happens to be the Computer Department
> Chair, and the advisor for the computer club.  He didn't see the need
> for a women in STEM group since there was a computer club.  The few
> programming instructors I talked to (because there is only like 3
> total in the school) didn't have any interest in becoming an advisor.
> I didn't ask anyone in the Science or Math departments as I'm not a
> student in any of those programs and didn't know whom to approach.
> The school didn't like the idea of it as it wasn't co-ed, and yet they
> have a group for black men.  This is my last semester and then
> hopefully I'll get accepted to a halfway decent school to continue my
> education.

Wow, this must be frustrating... and the reaction of your teacher
clearly show why there is a need for a women's group. I think it's
great that you tried to organize something.

> I also put up some flyers and held a couple interest meetings where I
> was the only one that showed up.  And yet, in my basic electronic
> class (AC/DC circuits) the 2 other women come to me to help them as I
> obviously know what I'm doing.
>
> As for a LUG there isn't one in town, I don't think there is one in
> the entire state!  In my linux class (which I couldn't test out of so
> I have to take it), no one else likes or uses linux including the
> instructor, and she doesn't like kde and is like don't use it use
> gnome!  Then again she is a mac person.

I hope you get the chance to go to a Linuxfest in your area some time.
Since I'm not based in the US, I can't really offer any suggestions.
But maybe Valorie, who should be on this list, too, can offer some
advice.