[Kde-women] bei wem kommen die Fragen an?

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Mon Sep 6 15:49:32 CEST 2004

On September 6, 2004 09:46 am, blk20 wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> sorry for responding that late. I was offline for a couple of days.
>
> On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 21:21, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > There are more women that thought at first sight in KDE.
> > I discovered another one today, in fact I was intrigued because I thought
> > 'this person behaves as I do' (in the way she is involved in the project)
> > but I did not think at first she was a woman. When I found out, I was
> > pleased and it stresses your point, Bernhard, about women doing things
> > differently and being more involved. I remarked (and was told) that women
> > have a better sense of the community dimension in the project. I also
> > remark they tend to pursue their objective until it's done while men
> > would jump from 1 to another. Women also abstain of quick flaming people.
>
> Anne-Marie, I think this is very interesting. Originally I thought that
> women would involve in different activities than men would do (for
> instance women would do more internationalisation than coding). However
> now I understand your post in the sense that women have a different
> approach within the same kind of activity (e.g. women would code
> differently, stay longer with a problem, etc).
>
> When you were intereacting with this other developer, what in particular
> was it that it made you think 'this person behaves as I do'? I mean was
> something like similarly commenting code or reacting to criticism? Has
> anybody else made similar experienes?

In the way she pursues the common objective, in the way she explains her views
and not dismiss gratuitously some ideas and so on. In the way she interacts
with people (via emails). Names don't make it evident what gender a person is
so there was no clue for me she was female other than I had a feeling after a
few shared work that she was.
And I don't know how she came to KDE but it is as easier for a woman than for
a man to do any work in KDE. The only difficulty might be on IRC when you
state you're a woman and some people might act as jerks. IRC anonymity might
reinforce that. Handling it is not difficult though (ain't I known as 'KDE
Mum'? ;-)

Anne-Marie