[Kde-women] bei wem kommen die Fragen an?

blk20 blk20 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 6 15:46:15 CEST 2004

Hi there,

sorry for responding that late. I was offline for a couple of days.

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 21:21, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are more women that thought at first sight in KDE.
> I discovered another one today, in fact I was intrigued because I thought
> 'this person behaves as I do' (in the way she is involved in the project) but
> I did not think at first she was a woman. When I found out, I was pleased and
> it stresses your point, Bernhard, about women doing things differently and
> being more involved. I remarked (and was told) that women have a better sense
> of the community dimension in the project. I also remark they tend to pursue
> their objective until it's done while men would jump from 1 to another.
> Women also abstain of quick flaming people.

Anne-Marie, I think this is very interesting. Originally I thought that
women would involve in different activities than men would do (for
instance women would do more internationalisation than coding). However
now I understand your post in the sense that women have a different
approach within the same kind of activity (e.g. women would code
differently, stay longer with a problem, etc).

When you were intereacting with this other developer, what in particular
was it that it made you think 'this person behaves as I do'? I mean was
something like similarly commenting code or reacting to criticism? Has
anybody else made similar experienes?

Thanks.

Cheers,
--Bernhard

Ps: In the FLOSS project in 2001/2 we invented the term to escape
discussions at that time whether one should call non-proprietary
software 'free software', 'open source' or 'libre software'. We wanted
everybody who took part of one of the 'communities'. I personally do not
make a difference in these terms. Results within the survey also showed
that there were not many significant differences between people of the
different communities.