[Kde-women] let the questions begin...

Frauke Oster oster at kde.org
Wed Feb 11 13:20:58 CET 2004

Hi Ines!

> I have some questions already; I tried to see if anyone was in IRC but
> no luck so here they go:

Sorry, I was to tired after my exam to go online :)

> I: so we're talking about types/categories of tasks like something can
> be "coding for the website", "translating", " writing documentation"
> etc. Is it possible to have a task associated with multiple categories?

At the moment I can't think of a task that would go with multiple
categories, so I would say no.

> I: yes, we definitely need a minimum skill level associated with a task;
> would we need an estimate amount of hours as well?

Well I don't know how to decide how many hours someone will need to
finish a task. I think that this decision will be very hard, because it
depends on your skills and knowledge, if you handle a task fast or if
you need a couple of hours for it. Any ideas how to decide about the
time a task consumes? If yes, then we can add this as well :)

> Do tasks have requisites? like if you are a maintainer of a certain
> package you are expected to do A, B, and C. I think I've seen things
> like this before.

Could you explain that a bit further? I don't get the point :(

> Do we want an estimated deadline for a given task? can a task have
> multiple deadlines associated with it?

What happens with tasks that have a deadline, but aren't solved at this
date or even haven't an asignee to the tasks?

> Should tasks have "supervisors" or "people to contact"(not the person
> developing) associated with them? Maybe this person is the app
> maintainer; am I correct?

Well, the maintainer is of course a person that you can contact, when
you have questions to the task. You can also ask on this mailinglist and
in the chat. There could also be the possibility to ask the person who
adds the task to the database. Oh, I think I have forgotten to mention
this at the irc meeting. We need also a form at the webinterface to add
tasks to the database, so that e.g. maintainers can add tasks. I hope
this is possible.

> Can an application have several maintainers?

Normally there is only one maintainer.

>  >[18:26] <frauke> for special tasks like writing What's this help there
>  > need to be some special things, like if the QT Designer was used
>
> I: I don't understand this... what do you mean?

Well, Annma could explain that much better than me, but I'll try to
answer this too :) The Qt Designer is a tool from Qt, that is sometimes
used in KDE for development. When you use this designer, there will be
special files that are created by the designer. I will call them Qt
designer files for the moment. This files make it easier to add What's
This help ( annma tole me, I never used the designer myself :) . Annma
made a list of applications that need What's This help and checked if
there are this designer files or not. When someone looks into the
database, he sees if the designer is used or not. That makes things
easier for the asignee, as designer files are much more easy to
translate than normal .cpp files.

>  >[18:33] <frauke> a task table, with the information about the creation
>  > date, the short and the long description, the category, the level of
>  > difficulty, if it is already assigned to someone, when yes, who is the
>  > contributor, and finally the extra informations like the use of the
>  > designer
>
> I: What do you mean by "use of the designer"?

See above :)

> Alright this might be enough for today... will ask more tomorrow

Go on :)

Cheers,

Frauke